Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hello, Again....

Well, it has been ages since I have posted anything here. My "40 Days" turned into just a couple weeks' worth of posts. But there has been a good reason--I've been busy, busy, BUSY.

The weeks after my last post were filled with days and nights spent working on the house, scrambling to get it finished in time. At first we were given a deadline/closing date of November 9. Nick was scheduled in Alabama for those last two weeks so it was basically up to me and a handful volunteers to finish. I spent many a night working until the wee hours of the morning, doing my best to get it all done. We finally finished on November 8, only to have them move the closing date to November 16. Oh, well. We still spent that last week doing little touch ups and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

They held a dedication for us, which consisted of a nice ceremony and a ton of housewarming and "pounding" gifts. Basically, before we even moved into the house, the pantry had been filled with food and our bathrooms and kitchen were stocked with things like towels, potholders and other small necessities. They also gave each of the children a quilt that had been hand-made by volunteers. It was truly an amazing experience.

Once we finally closed on the house, Nick had to go right back to work in Alabama. I moved me and the kids in earlier than planned because it was getting so cold out and the furnace at the old place was still broken. The first night we slept here, it was so nice and warm and peaceful. The kids and I all slept on the pull-out sofa in the living room, all snuggled together. It was wonderful and I'll never forget it.

Right after we moved in, the Holidays started. We celebrated Thanksgiving here in the new home with some of our family and I cooked my first full Thanksgiving meal. Of course, Christmas was right behind that, and I have to say that it was the best Christmas I've ever had in my life.

On Christmas Eve, after we had finished wrapping the presents and getting settled in for the night, Nick and I sat there talking about how wonderful it was to be celebrating Christmas here in the new home. We are so blessed; God has been so good to us!! Looking at the soft lights from the tree, all the presents piled around it, hearing the quiet sounds of the kids sleeping, looking around our beautiful new home and feeling the warmth and comfort....it was just...magical.

The journey that I began is still continuing, but I have made some real changes. Even though I didn't have time to sit down and write about it, God spoke to my heart about many more things in my life that I needed to take another look at.

Since we have moved in, I have felt so much peace and found so much comfort just being me. I'm no longer hating myself when I look in the mirror, I'm doing a much better job keeping up with my house and I have noticed I have more patience with the children and with Nick. I've also been realizing just how blessed I am and I have learned to be happy with what God has given me. I'm finally able to see just how wonderfully full my life is. I'm starting to be more positive about things and I'm focusing more on the good than the bad. It's amazing what prayer and scripture can do for you. :-)

I intend to keep writing about new discoveries or realizations...whenever I get the time, of course. These days I'm staying busy from the time I get up until the time I go to bed, so free time is rare. :-) I hope that everyone's Christmas was everything they wished for and I hope this new year brings more than anyone could ask for.

Blessings,

~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment